user profile
Sign in
user profile

Royal Mail Strikes

by Seller_cTzpYezoZ81AB

So next week Royal Mail are striking on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th November which for us will mean that any orders after 2pm on the Tuesday will not leave until the 7th November. eBay looks after their sellers and deals with this moving despatch by date to the 7th November, Amazon unsurprisingly still say despatch on a strike day.

I take it there is no way round this other than to put our store in to holiday mode from 12 noon on the Tuesday until 00:01 on the Friday and make 1 day despatch instead of same day We sell a lot of small items that go via Royal Mail 48 Large Letter, if Evri was an option I still wouldn’t use them due to their shocking service.

Tags: Royal Mail
1.9K views
898 replies
898 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_7VbclcPFFRTnc
In reply to: Seller_cTzpYezoZ81AB’s post

Its different departments on different days
Have a look at the rm website and see who are doing what

There are many threads on the strikes with different people doing different things

I would say forget prime and premium on those 3 days but only you can decide if you want to extend handling or put on holiday settings

user profile
Seller_Qrqi3Gr1D0qyY

I’m quite confused and not sure what to do. Indeed there are 3 days of strikes confirmed next week but officialy they say that only Thursday 3rd there will be no bussiness collections. As The_Little_Shop said those 3 days are for different departments. I’m a bit worried to leave everything running as I suspect that depending on the area, some depots may decide not to collect and drop staff somewhere else as they may have people missing on those days.
How do you actually do file upload to be able to extend shipping time?

user profile
Seller_LPQTXAx3oIrLt

My delivery depot can’t give me an answer until on the actual day, and doesn’t know if any collections will take place at all over the 3 days, and if they do take place, some areas will not get a collection due to staff adjustments - or in other words - staff will be taken from one area to cover others etc etc etc. It’s basically a mess.

user profile
Seller_DTufFoxJuMU0M

Am hoping they sort something out, and they don’t go ahead, but time will tell…

user profile
Seller_0msMReDTskp1Y

I think the unions are hoping for maximum disruption but without upsetting their members too much by calling them all out for so many days when some are already complaining about how much the strikes are costing them in lost pay.

If this next lot goes ahead I think November is going to be an absolute disaster for FBM, so I’ve already put on holiday settings. I’m bumping up my FBA to compensate. eBay continues as normal as they automatically adjust their dates to take the strikes into account and customers’ service expectations tend to be lower over there anyway.

user profile
Seller_Di581pXWuEkxG

And this is eBay’s response, take heed Amazon !!

"eBay will automatically protect your performance until Friday 9 December for transactions for:

• Your late delivery rate, which will be removed for transactions with estimated delivery dates until Friday 9 December.
  • Your “item not received” count in your Service Metrics dashboard will be automatically removed.
  • We will also remove any negative and neutral feedback relating to or arising from late or non delivery during this period.
  • As always, please upload tracking details when you dispatch an item. This helps to keep your buyers informed, and adding tracking details gives you additional protection."
user profile
Seller_KbS8F1HhbOckz

I changed my handling time to 2days from 1day. Despite this all my subsequent sales still had 1day handling, so I’ve lost a little trust in that as a solution. I’ll probably set to holiday mode instead.

user profile
Seller_Iti0OkAyMPN7I

I was told at the Post Office yesterday that further dates were due to be confirmed early next week

user profile
Seller_kplUbKzWQWQzT

it has been a nightmare with he dates were as amazon should know about the strike dates and not have them available for customer s - i have already got delivery late gone down a few times coz of this - ebay are so good with customer services

user profile
Seller_vlOfuiHHYSQQ3

Really angry with Royal Mail for these strikes, I understand they are not happy with pay etc but they should realise that they are hurting small businesses at a time when a lot of them are struggling as it is, seriously considering ditching Royal Mail altogether.

Go to original post