Royal Mail Strikes

That is a good point, I do feel that is a shame, but I suppose the counter is, the union won’t bother with a (I assume, costly) vote on it till they think it’ll go through first time and is in the majority favour. I really would hate to be in a RM worker’s shoes at the moment

but I suppose the counter is, the union won’t bother with a (I assume, costly) vote on it till they think it’ll go through first time and is in the majority favour

You realise this says "we are not giving people the choice in case they chose the “wrong” option.

Perhaps it does, I didn’t say I agreed with the lack of voting for the workers on the proposals, I actually stated that I felt it was ‘a shame’.

‘I suppose’ is me seeing it with a pair of glasses on, not through my own perspective. :slight_smile:

But there are ways of testing the water on whether a vote will be successful. You can hold local meetings and do a show of hands before putting out to a full vote.

Also watching the CWU Dave Ward on Sky News this morning his main problem still seem to be with CEO of RM and his reluctance to attend negotiations and the way he is using internal social media to target strikers. I am really not sure anything will change in the short term. We are probably looking at strikes into next year (although the impact will be lower)

forewarning lol - this is not a political comment

I did see, when one of our most recent PMs came into power , that they would bring in new laws to force unions to put the offers to the workers for a vote rather than them just declining on the workers ‘behalf’

Their forums were already discussing the terms of recently anounced involuntarily redundancies, which will already be legal shortly due to the length of the strikes. Royal mail has stated that these redundancies will be based on who had the most conduct violations, customer complaints, and working days which they took off, and also training/ experience/ ability to drive with some departments.

The majority of their forum already expects a total collapse on these negotiations, they’re just holding out for better redundancy payouts at this point. The elderly union members in particular stand to gain 25-35k from a ‘no deal’ situation. They are the ones holding out the hardest. The younger ones don’t have much power to say any different, and seem like they’re being taken for a ride.

no-one technically is holding out - except the union themselves - as the workers haven’t been given the option to take or refuse any offer

But there are ways of testing the water on whether a vote will be successful. You can hold local meetings and do a show of hands before putting out to a full vote.

This may well be why it hasn’t been put to a vote!

I watched a bit of Sky TV this morning too - I thought the union reps were pretty appalling in their attitude to negotiations. No matter the rights and wrongs of current pay levels, their demands are completely unaffordable.

So as and when a settlement is reached, do they realise that the only way to afford this is for taxes to rise - so their take home pay will lessen again.

Almost all couriers are reaching capacity and some already have https://www.parcel2go.com/service-updates

That bad boy isn’t nice to see :see_no_evil:

I’m from Norwich.
I don’t do football!

Shame this wasn’t applied to Brexit !
Back on topic, if the bots are reading " RM Strike" … CRICKETS !! (That’ll confuse them) :robot::interrobang: lol

Have Amazon put a banner on customer’s order page warning of the potential delays, regardless of carrier, not just RM ?
If not, they really need to .

Come on, basic logic could have told you it doesn’t work this way. If public funds were raised solely through tax then every subsequent year the amount of public funding available would be capped at whatever the tax percentage was of the previous year.

So in the case of RM why are the Unions demanding the government intervene in their negotiations- want a government subsidy/input?

It’s complicated by the Universal Service Obligation.

It appears to me that RM owners want to dilute the USO or get rid of it completely. One could argue that shareholders ought to have know that they had this obligation when they invested - it’s called due diligence - and run their business accordingly rather than ask for the rules to be changed in their favour.

In my opinion the USO is there because the service is a public good and simply can’t be hived off to the private sector wholesale. It was a botch privatisation, similar to the mess made of Railtrack. At some point I believe the government needs either to subsidise the cost of the USO or renationalise.

Like it or not the USO means that the government have ‘skin in the game’ in this dispute. In that light I don’t think it is unreasonable that the CWU are asking for action from the government. I expect RM are too, though perhaps in private.

Politics aside, this is really messing up my Christmas sales :frowning:

Price changes to international coming soon.

USO is no excuse for poor management and execution. Modernisation, automation, and market share expansion is the way forward. Just look at the Deutsche Post DHL group. RM has a lot to learn from them.

It is absolute bonkers that as a company based in the UK, 90% of my shipments are handled by a German company. We pay way more than 6 figures every year for postal services, and literally begged RM several times to look at our postal requirements and cut us a competitive deal, but RM’s “Sales team” simply does not give a s*** :man_shrugging:

Shame you don’t look at the whole picture for the strike as your seeing 9 per cent see how that is broken up plus it’s Sundays not Saturday plus RM want to do away with am deliveries so postman start later finish later plus they want to use self employed drivers plus make 25000 redundant so look at all the facts so quote just one

With SFP do we need to turn it off during strike days because I am looking at the items that are on SFP and it seems that Amazon is reflecting the delivery times?

Thank you